Head Temple Taisekiji

 Main buildings

奉安堂

Hoando

The worship hall where the Dai-Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary of the Essential Teaching is enshrined.
Built in 2002.

御影堂

Mieido

First founded by Second High Priest Nikko Shonin.
Rebuilt in 1632. Renovated in 2013.
[Tangible Cultural Asset designated by Shizuoka Prefecture]

客殿

Kyakuden

One of the central structures where the majority of ceremonies are held, including Ushitora Gongyo by each successive High Priest every morning.
Built in 1465. Rebuilt in 1998.

六壷

Mutsubo

Founded by Second High Priest Nikko Shonin. This is where Head Temple Taisekiji started.
Rebuilt in 1988.

総門

Somon Gate

Located at the southern-most entrance to the temple grounds. It has commonly been called the Kuromon Gate (Black Gate) since ancient times.
Built in 1522. Rebuilt in 1880.

三門

Sammon Gate

The largest red-lacquered wooden gate of its kind in the Tokai region of Japan.
Built in 1717. Full renovation is underway until January 2021.
[Tangible Cultural Asset designated by Shizuoka Prefecture]

二天門

Nitemmon Gate

Red-lacquered gate on the mid-point of the pathway from the Sammon Gate to the Mieido.
Built in 1638. Rebuilt in 1960.

鬼門

Onimon Gate

Red-lacquered gate in the ancient Chinese gabled-roof style.
Built in 1717. Renovated in 2016.

不開門

Akazu-no-mon Gate

Akazu-no-mon ("Akazu" means "unopened") is so called because it is to remain firmly closed until the accomplishment of kosen-rufu.
Built year unknown. Rebuilt in the middle of Edo period and in 1988.

裏門

Uramon Gate

Located at the southern end of the path in front of the Mutsubo.
Built year unknown. Rebuilt in 1823 and 1988.

塔中参道

Tatchu sando

Pilgrimage path from the Sammon Gate to the Mieido.
Brilliantly coloured by weeping cherry trees in spring.

法祥園

Hoshoen

The Japanese garden of approximately 5,300 square meters (1.3 acres).
Completed in 1990.

常唱堂

Joshodo (Ever-chanting Temple)

Founded in 1726 by 26th High Priest Nichikan Shonin.
Relocated as the main hall of Ishinobo in 1925.

説法石

Seppo-ishi

It is said that Second High Priest Nikko Shonin often preached on the boulder until Taisekiji construction was completed. (located in Ishinobo)

熱原三烈士碑

Atsuwara sanresshi-hi

The memorial monument to honour the three martyrs including Jinshiro during Atsuwara Persecution in 1279.

六万塔

Rokuman-to

The right-hand side monument was constructed in 1704 resulting from six-hundred million Daimoku
The left in 1994 resulting from sixty billion Daimoku

五重塔

Goju-no-to

Five-storied Pagoda that is said to be the finest pagoda on the Tokaido, the ancient road that links Tokyo to Kyoto.
Height : 34.3 meters
Built in 1749. Renovated in 2017.
[Important National Cultural Asset]

御経蔵

Okyozo

The sutra storehouse that stores a complete collection of sutras in Ming dynasty, which is the Tangible Cultural Asset of Shizuoka Prefecture.
Built in 1697. Moved and rebuilt in 1973.

御宝蔵

Gohozo

A storehouse with a thick mud wall to protect important treasures including Important Cultural Assets.
Built by Ninth High Priest Nichiu Shonin. Rebuilt in 1790.

多宝蔵

Tahozo

A storehouse constructed in an ancient architectural style utilizing intercrossed triangle logs (Azekura style) to store ancient writings in Taisekiji.
Built in 1990.

大坊(内事部)

Daibo (Naijibu, Internal Affairs Department)

The central administrative building of Taisekiji where the successive High Priests live.
Built in 1290. Rebuilt in 1962.

宗務院庁舎

Shumuin

Nichiren Shoshu Head Office that manages its religious affairs.
Built in 1981.

大講堂

Daikodo

The grand lecture hall for big conferences and lectures.
Built in 1958.

中講堂

Chukodo

The medium-sized lecture hall with the Fuji Gakurin Library.
Built in 1988.

登山事務所

Tozan Office

The reception for Nichiren Shoshu believers who make tozan pilgrimages to the Head Temple.
Relocated in 2011.

広布坊

Kofubo

The grand conference hall with 1,243 tatami mats on the second floor.
Built in 1994.

常来坊

Joraibo

A logding temple with a large main hall and a lecture hall.
Built in 1972. Relocated in 2011.

常灯坊

Tokohibo

A lodging temple mainly used by overseas believers.
Built in 1972. Rebuilt in 2008.

大石寺墓地

Taisekiji bochi

The vast cemetery with approximately 16,000 graves.
The Tenrei-in is the administrative office of the cemetery.

大納骨堂

Dai Nokotsudo

The three-story building of cinerarium.
Built in 1960. Relocated in 1969. Rebuilt in 2005.

大名墓地

Daimyo bochi

Cemetery of feudal lords in the Edo period including the Itakura Family, the Lords of the Bitchu-Matsuyama Domain; the Maeda Family, the Lords of the Daishoji Domain; and the Nambu Family, the Lords of the Hachinohe Domain.

宝物殿

Homotsuden

The exhibition hall to introduce the history of Taisekiji and to display occasional special exhibitions.

Moreover, there are more than 20 lodging temples for believers.